The successful applicant will work as part of the Clinical Pathology team and will provide a high quality veterinary diagnostic bacteriology service including bacterial culture, identification of cultured organisms and antibiotic sensitivity testing. The successful applicant will have sole responsibility for day-to-day management of the diagnostic bacteriology service.
The main responsibilities are:
- Performing all aspects of diagnostic bacteriology
- Organising their own daily work schedule
- Ensuring accurate entry of results into the LIMS system
- Performing and recording quality control and external quality assurance
- Preparing, monitoring stocks and ordering of laboratory reagents
- Discussion of results with the clinical pathologists
- Working closely with the senior clinical pathologist and others to ensure a high quality service
The successful applicant will be under the direction of the senior clinical pathologist but is expected to work independently on the technical aspects of bacteriology. Close liaison with other technical staff is also required to ensure a seamless service with other parts of the company's our work.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who wishes to work part-time and is knowledgeable in a wide range of bacteriological techniques involved in the culture, identification and antibiotic sensitivity testing of bacteria from a wide range of animal-derived material including faeces, urine and tissues.
This must be accompanied by a detailed knowledge of the underlying principles of these techniques and at practical experience. MLSO status and/or an appropriate degree level qualification in biomedical sciences is desirable. Experience of working in a GLP environment would be an advantage but is not essential.
Appointment will be made on our senior scientist scale and will be in the region of £12.00 - £14.80 per hour with starting salary being dependent on qualifications and experience.
to view the employer's profile and apply
If you are already registered