We are an international renewables engineering consultancy. We are one of the world's leading technical advisory organisations specialising in renewable energy power generation, including wind, solar, hydro, marine and bio energy technologies. Our success to date is based on in-depth engineering knowledge and experience, applied in a practical manner to provide the best possible solutions and advice to our clients.
The Health and Safety Manager will be responsible for all H&S and the role will involve the development and growth of our H&S Team to become an autonomous team within the company.
Three key areas of responsibility:
- General operational health and safety for all of our operations, office work, travel, H&S training etc.
- H&S of design and construction related activities working both on our own projects (up to and including Designer/Principal Contractor) and on clients’ sites, including work in the offshore environment and in challenging climates.
- Consolidation and further development of our existing health and safety advisory services to the market.
Principal tasks will include
- Create strategy and business plan for the H&S team.
- Recruit appropriate people both internally and externally to build and develop Safety Team roles and duties.
- Line management of team members.
- Lead initiatives to achieve a goal of zero harm.
- Become central point of knowledge for H&S within the company both locally and worldwide.
- Proactively advise management on all H&S matters including compliance with legislation and industry best practice.
- Re-development of our H&S management system and H&S manual (processes, procedures and practices).
- Promoting and developing a strong safety culture oriented towards continuous improvement.
- Carry out internal audits and represent the company for external audits.
- Develop necessary skills across the company through qualification processes and training programmes, including identifying requirements, preparing budget estimates, and progressing with senior management.
- Undertake best practice H&S management of pre-construction, construction and operation, of major renewables projects onshore and offshore, internationally and the UK.
- Ensure we remain compliant with the relevant legislation, including CDM roles as Designer/Principal Contractor.
- Carry out H&S monitoring of all our activities.
- Proactive interfacing with project managers, engineers and technical specialists.
- Maintain an incident reporting system, investigation and analysis as stipulated in the H&S manual.
- Investigate, analyse and review accidents or near misses within the organisation and implement any suitable changes.
- Consolidate our existing H&S consultancy expertise to offer clearly defined services for clients.
- Develop HSE consultancy advisory services associated with the above activities.
- Provision of interface advice for technical safety.
- Develop business strategy to sell HSE advisory services to the market place and to internal projects.
- A proactive manager and strategic thinker: We anticipate Safety Team members will be appointed to develop and implement procedural and administrative tasks in detail, although the Team Leader must actively progress such aspects.
- Hold current and relevant UK and internationally recognised safety qualifications (e.g. CDMC, CMIOSH, NEBOSH etc.).
- Thorough knowledge of UK HSE regulatory requirements, including CDM.
- Significant experience and a proven track record in construction H&S management.
- Evidence of driving best practice in commercially focussed fast growing organisations.
- Experience working with engineering and construction specialists.
- The ability to produce and review high quality reports to predefined deadlines.
- Attention to detail, reliability and good organisational skills.
- A flexible and robust approach to work.
- A high level of problem solving ability and initiative.
- Driving licence valid for use in the UK.
- Strong IT skills particularly in MS Word, Excel.
- Willingness to travel in the UK and internationally.
- Degree qualification in a technical discipline.
- Management of site contractors in the construction and energy sector.
- Site based experience in the construction industry.
- Experience of working offshore.
- Experience of international H&S practices.
- Strong client-facing skills and confident communicator with smart appearance.
- Demonstrable interest in renewable energy and sustainability.
The company is growing rapidly and offers excellent long-term career prospects.
Hours: 37 hours per week. Occasional evenings to attend meetings;
Holidays: 23 days and 9 public holidays (increasing with service);
Contract: Permanent after 3 month probationary period;
Salary: Negotiable - dependent upon experience;
Training: Active encouragement of personal and professional development;
Equal opportunities: We follow an equal opportunities policy.
Location: Glasgow but travel as required.
To apply: Please write enclosing full CV and covering letter with the subject heading: ‘HSE Team Leader’
Closing date 14th September 2012 – shortlisted candidates will be advised by telephone or e-mail.
Please note we will not require Agency Support to fill this role.
to view the employer's profile and apply
If you are already registered