Setting up your household

Make sure your household in Scotland is protected with the right insurance. Plus get your TV and car licences. Find out what you need to do.

insurance file

Getting insurance

In Scotland, you may be able to get free access to a doctor, dental check-ups and eye tests once you register with your local National Health Service. However, not everything is covered. Because accidents can happen, you should consider getting insurance to protect things like your car, home and pets.

Insurance can help meet costs if you have an accident, experience accidental damages to your home or even lose your luggage on your travels.

Getting a TV licence

You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or stream programmes live, on catch-up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. You still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service.

A standard colour TV licence costs £145.50 and you can pay for it all at once or in instalments. If you do not pay for a TV licence, you can be fined up to £1000.

However, you do not need a TV licence to watch videos or DVDs, online catch-up services like 4oD or clips on websites like YouTube. If you only use TV equipment for closed circuit television such as security cameras, you do not need a TV licence.

Getting your driver’s licence

You must be at least 17 years to drive a car in the UK. For mopeds and motorcycles, the required age varies between 16 and 24, depending on the type of bike you wish to drive.
If you do not have a driver’s licence but want to learn to drive in Scotland, you must first apply for a provisional licence then pass the theory and practical driving tests.

If you wish, you can take driving lessons from a professional instructor. You can take your test when you feel you are ready. There is not a set number of hours you have to practice driving before you can take your test.