Coming to work or staying in Scotland as a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national

European departure board

On 1 July 2021, the EU Settlement Scheme closed for the majority of applications. This marked the end of the grace period for most EU, EEA and Swiss citizens to apply to the Scheme by 30 June 2021. 

EEA or Swiss nationals who live outside of the UK but regularly travel here to work may be eligible for a Frontier Worker Permit. To qualify, eligible citizens must have worked in the UK by 31st of December 2020 and meet the other eligibility and suitability requirements, full details can be found here.

EEA and Swiss nationals who enter the UK for the first time from the 1st January 2021 will normally have to apply for a visa under the Points-Based System to live and work in the UK.

The Scottish Government have created a toolkit to provide information to those EEA and Swiss citizens who wish to stay in Scotland following the end of the Brexit Transition period. Details on the support available from the Scottish Government can be found here.