Staying in Scotland as a European Economic Area (EEA) National

EU citizens living in the UK and their non UK family members will need to consider applying under the new settlement scheme to obtain their new UK immigration status following Brexit.

French passport

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in Scotland, you and your family will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you wish to continue living and/or working in the UK after 30 June 2021. Those EU, EEA and Swiss nationals who obtained proof of their status under the old registration will still require to apply to the EU settlement scheme. This includes those with documents certifying permanent residence.

Those who have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK are not required to apply.

The scheme is now fully opened and the deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

How to apply

You’ll be able to complete the application form online using any device (for example, an Android or iPhone, computer or tablet). You’ll be able to get support over the phone or in person if you need help doing things online.

You’ll only need an Android phone or tablet if you want to scan your identity document - you can send it by post if you do not have access to one.

When you apply, you’ll need proof of:

• your identity;
• your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the UK;
• your relationship to a family member from the EU living in the UK, if you’re from outside the EU; and
• a recent digital passport photo.


On 21 January the Prime Minister announced that from 30 March 2019, applicants will not require to pay the Home Office fee of £65 per applicant (or £32.50 if under 16). Anyone who has applied already and paid a fee will be refunded automatically.

For the latest updates, please visit the Scottish Government’s website